Roto-o-Rangi School

Learning Programmes 

Through the national curriculum, we develop high performing students with the essential abilities of a 21st Century learner.  Across our classrooms, fun, innovative and effective learning programmes are used.  Whilst reading, writing and maths form the foundations of our class programmes, it is the knowledge and skills of the powerful learner that help our children to develop successful futures. We strive to have strong learners through:

Our goals are: 

Technology

Technology plays an integral part in supporting our learning programmes. The school has an extensive and expanding ICT infrastructure based on mobile devices.  Presently the school supports a device to student ratio of 1:2. Students and teachers use interactive boards, school supplied laptops, tablets, cameras, video and various other forms of technology on our modern, fibre mobile network. Our wireless network seemlessly integrates devices across the entire school so that all students can access their personal google accounts from any room. Google for Education is utilised extensively by the students to support their classroom learning.

BYOD - Bring Your Own Device - is being introduced through the school so that students can bring devices from home that they are already familiar with. This also helps create better connections between the learning at school and learning at home.

Learning Support

Support programmes are developed for children with learning needs as well as for gifted learners, so that all children can reach their potential. We employ teacher aides to work either individually or with children in small groups to support our teacher’s learning programmes.  The school also engages with outside agencies if more specialised support/expertise is needed, such as Reading Recovery, RTLB service etc.  Parents are encouraged to discuss their child’s learning with us at any time.

Reading Recovery Programme: This is an early intervention that provides individual help for children who have had difficulty in reading and writing during their first year at school  Children on the programme receive individual teaching for thirty minutes each day by a trained Reading Recovery teacher.

Cultural Learning 

Roto-o-Rangi School’s curriculum recognises the unique position of Māori within our community and New Zealand society. We provide a curriculum where all students develop their te reo and tikanga knowledge plus have experiences and understandings in cultural traditions, language and local and national histories.  

The school will offer Mandarin lessons in the 2 senior classes in 2017, which will be taught by a visiting Mandarin teacher and native speaking Mandarin learning assistant. The school recognises the importance Asia has in shaping NZ society and so are working with other schools, including the Middle and High Schools to provide this opportunity.